Why to Use Gesso?
Gesso is used for tooth adhesion for your support. This allows the subsequent layers of paint to “stick” your surface. Make certain you clean your lids and close them properly to prevent your gesso from clumping.
Create a textured surface using a colored gesso and palette knife
- Normally Gesso is used with a brush but if you want to create a more textured look you can apply the gesso with a palette knife.
Application of the Gesso – Creating bumps
- Using your palette knife and Gesso, turn your surface in various directions and apply different amounts of Gesso to create “bumps”.
- Move your palette knife in different directions as you apply Gesso in thick and thin fashion.
Creating more texture by “thumping” your surface
- Texture your board by smacking it with your palette knife once again rotating your surface. Vary your direction and marks if you can. Try different sized palette knifes.
- Once dry, you can paint away on your more interesting surface!
- Close your lids to your Gesso or you will obtain clumps.